08 Jul Teen Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
Although we aren’t able to conduct in person volunteering at the library, we are able to transform some of the opportunities to a virtual component. When you volunteer, you help give back to your community. These are fun and engaging opportunities to help your library all while adding to your resume and college applications. Need service hours? Each of these opportunities comes with service credit hours. Here are some of the fabulous opportunities for you:
- Book Reviews on our Good Reads Page
- How to write Booktalks and Reviews:
- Don’t review a title already on the list. Any book that is not on the Teen Bookshelf on GoodReads.com is fair game!
- Chose a book you liked, not one you didn’t!
- Give enough information to hook the reader, but…
- Do not give all deets,
- Definitely do not give away the ending!
- And end it with a cliffhanger.
- Include this line at the end of your review, with your info and in this format:
- Reviewed by Name Lastname Initial, Role in TAB, TAB@DBPL Years in TAB, Reader Advisor since Year
- Ex: Loanis M, Member TAB @DBPL 2019-Present, Reader Advisor since 2009
- Earn up to 6 hours of volunteer credit. Two (2) hours for each paragraph, no more than 3 paragraphs.
- See Wyatt’s review of Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Even though it was only 2 paragraphs, he earned 6 hours, because the book was short, the review was complete and met all requirements.
- Book Trailers for our YouTube Channel
- Create a book trailer of a young adult book. We have book trailers on the Library’s YouTube Channel. Please subscribe!
- We used iMovie to create them, but you can use another program if you want. Example: Scythe by Neal Shusterman
- Earn up to 5 hours of volunteer credit.
Click to Submit: TAB @DBPL Reader Advisors Entry Form
- Upload cover image of up to 5 books in individual files. Name each file with the TitleYourLastnameFirstname. For example, File name: UnwindMenendezLoanis. Image files only.
- Attach up to 5 booktalks/book trailers in individual word or video files. Name each file with the TitleYourLastnameFirstname. For example, File name: UnwindMenendezLoanis. Don’t forget to list any other titles by the author and author’s website if applicable.
For more information on any one of these opportunities, contact email@example.com or call (561)-266-0196.
Please be sure to fill out the volunteer application first, before any volunteering begins.